Perhaps the proposal

16.10.13

Letter to the Editor

Perhaps the proposal to allow members of the ALP half a vote for the parliamentary leadership was a ruse, a way of ultimately destroying his detractors (re AWU/SDA alliance, both of whom are compliant right wing unions) who knifed him. The validity of the ALP is at stake here. Who runs the ALP, its members or the right wing alliance? We saw a good example of AWU tricks in the lead up to the 2006 State election in the seat of Thuringowa where the AWU candidate was charged with electoral fraud.

Mr Rudd may have foreseen the amount of consternation this would bring to the ordinary members of the ALP who were affected by the gerrymander that the above group have on the ALP, and introduced such a rule to ultimately free the ALP from the gerrymander, as Premier Wayne Goss did in Queensland all those years ago. If so good on him.

Mr Rudd is a very clever man and should be congratulated for beginning the process of ultimately making the ALP a party that actually puts its charter into action as does provide a voice for ordinary working Australians, but most importantly is a truly democratic party, where 60% of the member can actually elect 60% of the politicians. I have seen it reported on TV that only 74% of members actually voted, which leaves 26% of the party unaccounted for, this is nowhere near good enough for a political party in the 21st century, yet is still in front of other political parties in this country, which leads me to ask, ‘Who is actually running the country.’

Regards,

Shaun Newman

13 Laura Court

Deeragun, Townsville

North Queensland, 4818

Ph: 0747516184

Email – sne35565@westnet.com.au

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: